Sledge-Lit! This is the Winter version of literary festival Edge-Lit which I attended back in July. Much like its Summer cousin, I spent the day meeting fellow writers and readers, hearing from accomplished authors, and ending the day making friends over beers.
Crashing out of NaNoWriMo, despite having a strong idea, due to an intense few months at the office. I should have followed my own advice on how to win NaNoWriMo.
I have read...
- Blood of Assassins by RJ Barker
- The Girl with all the Gifts by M R Carey
I have blogged...
- Book To The Future 2018 - My Photo Album
- My Top 5 Tips for Sledge-Lit 2018
- My Top 5 Tips for Winning NaNoWriMo
- 18 Things I Learnt at Sledge-Lit 2018
I have written...
- A poem called The Wee Wise Weevil, which has a Julia Donaldson vibe.
- A short story called The Nuthatch, best described as a fantasy horror.
- 14,859 words towards a novella called The Maria Compass, a contemporary re-telling of A Christmas Carol. This was my NaNoWriMo project. I hope to finish this in January.
- Very busy at work!
I have submitted...
- An entry for the Birmingham Writers' Group annual winter competition. The theme was Frozen Wastes and I wrote a short story called The Nuthatch. I didn't win but the story will feature in my third short story collection.
Out and about
- I spoke about self-publishing at Book To The Future, the University of Birmingham's literary festival.
- I spoke about self-publishing to the first-year Creative Writing students at the University of Birmingham.
- I attended Sledge-Lit 2018. It was awesome.
Dates to remember
- 1 October - National Coffee Day
- 4 October - National Poetry Day
- 6 October - National Bookshop Day
- 26 October - Four-year anniversary of Breadcrumbs.
- 29 October - Three-year anniversary of The Curse of Besti Bori.
- 25 November - Four-year anniversary of Circ.
- I had a brilliant Christmas with lots of writing presents: a new Moleskine, the Emotion Thesaurus, and a set of storytelling dice!
- I was blown away by Black Mirror episode Bandersnatch. Now I want to write a Choose Your Own Adventure novel.
- Bring on 2019. I will try very hard to finish The Maria Compass, my next short story collection, and Nephos 3.
Sign up to Simon's newsletter to hear more about his reading and writing projects.