The One Big Book Launch (OBBL) is a joint venture between Completely Novel and Literally PR which allows ten chosen authors the opportunity to showcase their books at a high-profile event, gaining them exposure that they otherwise would not have been able to achieve if they were working alone. As one of the ten authors, I am feel very excited and privileged to be taking part in this event.
Here are five reasons why I am excited:
1. The Pitch - I will be given a window to pitch The Sheriff to the guests. I often talk about The Sheriff at the office or parties but this is the first time that the people listening will be from the literary industry.
2. Sales - I will be given a stand where I can sell my books to the guests. I had never bulk-ordered copies of The Sheriff before but the OBBL gave me the motivation to invest in buying some stock. I certainly feel a lot more confident about selling paperback copies now that I have been chosen for the OBBL and I must thank the organisers for giving me this encouragement.
3. Networking - I am an active member of the writing community in Birmingham but the OBBL will allow me to network with writers from across the UK. I expect we will share stories, tips and Twitter profiles before the evening is over! Equally, I may meet some agents, publicists and publishers for the first time. I have always been aware of the importance of these figures but meeting them in person will really help me understand the industry outside of Amazon.
4. Signing - there is a possibility that someone will ask me to sign a copy of The Sheriff for them. Signing my name in a book that I have written is one of those moments I have dreamed of from an early age. I am sure many first-time authors also share that dream. Hopefully I will get to exercise my signature a few times on the night!
5. Fun - more than anything, the OBBL should be a relaxed, enjoyable celebration of ten authors and the culmination of their hard work. I have five friends joining me and I hope to make many new friends before the evening is over.
The OBBL is on Wednesday 30th April at the Free Word Centre in Farringdon. Tickets have now sold out.